Senior Business Associate
Senior Business Associate
At United South End Settlements (USES), we offer programs that support the whole family in achieving economic mobility. We help parents and caregivers develop their own capacity to reach their goals, increase their income and assets, and connect with new networks of people through One-on-One Coaching combined with opportunities for personal development through Family Mobility programming. We provide quality education and enrichment opportunities for children and youth that foster personal development and social-emotional skills such as perseverance, communication, teamwork, and problem-solving – Early Childhood Education, club48 out of school time programming, and Camp Hale on Squam Lake in New Hampshire. We believe that as families increase their income and assets, become more resilient, and connect to a diverse network, they and their children are more likely to develop the necessary skills to disrupt the cycle of poverty.
As United South End Settlements celebrates its 125th year and beyond, we are reaffirming our founding vision of an inclusive community where neighbors from all walks of life work together so that all can thrive while implementing a bold, new model designed to promote economic mobility and social capital to break the generational cycle of poverty.
CORE GOALS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE JOB
The Senior Business Associate is responsible for ensuring compliance and adherence to systems in the running of the day-to-day operations of the Finance Office, including processing all bills, reimbursements, deposits, and contract billing. The Senior Business Associate will serve as a liaison to eCratchit, our outsourced accounting firm to support bookkeeping and accounting, budget preparation and payroll; support legal, regulatory, and contractual compliance for all accounting, tax, and financial reporting functions; provide support for the annual financial statement audit.
COLLABORATIONS & REPORTING STRUCTURE
As Senior Business Associate, this person will work closely with the Executive Office, Senior team, and other key members of USES’s talented team. In addition, this person will manage a finance intern, serve as staff liaison to the Finance Committee, and as needed, to the full board of directors. The Senior Business Associate will report directly to the Chief Program Officer.
WHAT YOU'LL GET TO DO
The key responsibilities of this position include:
• Work with the senior team and eCratchit to support the organization’s financial sustainability and efficiency by working across all departments within the organization to ensure budgets and financial policies and practices are followed, expenses and revenues are properly coded across all departments, and controls are in place
• Partner with eCratchit to ensure that they have all the necessary information to post all transactions in Quickbooks, including cash receipts, cash disbursements, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit cards, and investment activity; manage the timely processing of accounts payable invoices and check preparation, and maintain Chart of Accounts
• Build strong banking relationships and oversee all banking activities, including timely deposits of checks and cash, proper monitoring and coding of account activity, and management of account balances as it relates to cash flow
• In collaboration with the program team, ensuring contract compliance, document and submit all contract and invoice-related billing, specifically MA BON, NH BON, ASOST, CCFA, and others as received, and support the parent fee billing process as needed
• Serve as the primary point of contact for vendor relationships; receive and process all vendor invoices and other expense documentation
• Develop a thorough understanding of the chart of accounts and class structure to review the coding/classing of all vendor invoices, credit card charges, ACH payments, employee expense reports, and other expenses provided by staff. Ensure such coding/classing is provided to eCratchit on a timely basis.
• Review AP weekly to ensure accuracy and provide a report to the Chief Program Officer and CEO for weekly bill payment
• Review credit card charges and statements and related expense and class coding, ensuring that receipts/proper documentation is provided by cardholders, proper approvals, and providing related information to eCratchit
• Perform month-end accounting closing procedures, as directed and supported by eCratchit, and assist with year-end closing and annual audit.
• Partner with eCratchit to ensure that USES has a successful and clean audit, ensuring files are complete and accurate, proper documentation is maintained, processes and procedures are followed, and help to problem solve or resolve questions raised by the auditors
• Update and maintain the finance manual and accounting policies and procedures documents to help ensure awareness of, and adherence to, policies, procedures, and controls
• Participate in the onboarding process for all budget managers (financial policies, procedures, and controls, including understanding and managing their departmental budgets, coding and classing of revenues and expenses, etc.) and serve as point of contact for all staff on all organizational financial matters
• Organize employee reimbursements, contract employee payments, and benefit contributions to ensure timely payment in partnership with Positively Partners, our outsourced Human Resource service provider
• Support the preparation of financial reporting to donors, as well as tax filings, such as Form 3ABC, Forms 990 & PC, and other statutory financial reports
• Support within other departments as requested to further the organization’s mission and outcomes.
• Delegate select processes and procedures to a Finance Intern and provide adequate supervision and training to ensure timely and accurate completion of tasks
• Assist the Chief Program Officer, CEO, and eCratchit with financial reporting, analysis, or special projects as needed.
WHO WE'RE LOOKING FOR
USES is seeking a detail-oriented, organized, and friendly individual who has the experience, ambition, and mission alignment needed to be the point person for our finance department.
• Commitment to USES’s mission and values
• 2-3 years professional experience, ideally as a bookkeeper or finance assistant
• Interested in opportunities to develop and grow as a financial leader within the organization through coaching from our outsourced CFO
• Detailed knowledge of core office and financial systems – particularly MS Excel and Outlook, and QuickBooks
• Strong detail orientation and analytical skills, with an ability to work well with and establish processes and procedures
• Must have a positive, can-do attitude; ability to work independently and pro-actively
• A strong internal customer-service orientation, promotes team spirit and seeks opportunities for growth and enhancing the organization
• Must be self-motivated, reliable, and professional; and have strong attention to detail and the ability to document and follow processes and procedures
• Experience in time management to correctly prioritize tasks, with skills in meeting critical financial deadlines and ability to prioritize and respond to email and phone communication in a timely manner
• A strong communicator who will build relationships at various levels within USES and has the confidence to resolve problems and work with peers and USES leadership to ensure financial responsibilities are carried out appropriately and with compliance
• A general understanding of bookkeeping and finance practices, with the ability to learn quickly and then share their knowledge with others
• Experience with management of and reporting requirements for non-profit organizations and with government grants/contracts a plus
WHAT WE OFFER
The salary for this role is $55,000-60,000, DOE. We'll promote your professional growth and development by providing access to a benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan, pension contributions, paid vacation, and more.
WORK EXPECTATIONS AT USES
In-person for the first 90 days of employment. After 90 days, the position will be hybrid (a combination of in-person and remote work). Occasional weekend and evening hours might be required with notice Covid-19 vaccine is preferred but not required. Masks might be mandated depending on COVID numbers and CDC recommendations.
------------------------------EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER------------------------------
USES is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, disability or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. USES is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act, and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team