Pre-school Teacher - $1,500 sign-on
WHAT WE OFFER
- Salary range- $20-$24.00 per hour, depending on credentials
- Now offering a $1,500 sign-on bonus for new employees who join our Early Childhood Education team, paid out across the first 3 months of your employment.
- Generous paid time off benefits including 3 weeks of vacation, 12 holidays, 5 personal days and accrued sick time
- 4 Professional Development Days
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
- Group Life/Accidental Death & Dismemberment/Short Term Disability - 100% Employer Paid
- Employee Assistance Program
At United South End Settlements (USES), we offer programs that support the whole family in achieving economic mobility. We help parents and caregivers develop their own capacity to reach their goals, increase their income and assets, and connect with new networks of people through One-on-One Coaching combined with opportunities for personal development through Family Mobility programming. For children and youth, we provide quality education and enrichment opportunities that foster personal development and social-emotional skills such as perseverance, communication, teamwork, and problem-solving – Early Childhood Education, club48 out of school time programming, and Camp Hale on Squam Lake in New Hampshire. We believe that as families increase their income and assets, become more resilient and connect to a diverse network, they and their children are more likely to develop the necessary skills to disrupt the cycle of poverty.
As United South End Settlements celebrates its 130th year and beyond, we are now reaffirming our founding vision of an inclusive community where neighbors from all walks of life work together so that all can thrive, while implementing a bold, new model designed to promote economic mobility and social capital to break the generational cycle of poverty.
As a Pre-school Teacher, you’ll play a vital role in directly supporting our pre-school classrooms. You will have the opportunity to use your own professional skills and develop new ones, supported by a committed and team-oriented set of colleagues. As a member of the Early Childhood Education (ECE) team, you will receive ongoing support and guidance. This role reports to the Early Childhood Education Program Coordinator.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
The key responsibilities of this position include:
- Collaborate with Program Coordinator, ECE Assistant Director and support staff to develop and implement curriculum with a focus on Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics (STEAM)
- Provide a consistent, structured, daily program incorporating daily activities for children based on planned curriculum
- Manage and maintain an organized, safe, welcoming, and clean classroom environment
- Be a positive role model, demonstrating professionalism and a commitment to USES values
- Engage with and build rapport with children’s families and conduct parent conferences
- Become well versed in other support services offered throughout USES for families
- Observe, assess, record, and report on children's progress and behaviors
- Support and follow nutritional guidelines
- Identify opportunities to enhance teaching skills and participate in training as recommended by the leadership
- Attend professional development days, staff meetings and weekly team meetings
- Complete other duties as assigned
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
There are innumerable ways to learn, grow and excel professionally. We know people gain skills through a variety of professional, personal, educational, and volunteer experiences. We respect this when we review applications and take a broad look at the experience of each applicant. We want to get to know you and the unique strengths you will bring to the work. This said, we are most likely to be interested in your candidacy if you can demonstrate the majority of the qualifications and experiences listed below.
- A deep commitment to USES’s mission and core values
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or equivalent
- Experience in Early Education- EEC certification, Bachelor's, CDA or Associates Degree in ECE or a related field strongly preferred
- Experience and/or knowledge of Department of Early Education Care preferred
- Must demonstrate an interest in and commitment to working with children and families
- Demonstrate flexibility to receive and implement supportive feedback with enthusiasm for implementing new teaching and learning strategies
- Experience in designing and leading activities for children strongly preferred
- Excellent communication skills, planning and organizing, attention to details
- Must be able to climb, reach, stand, walk, finger, talk, hear, and be capable of repetitive motion
- Position requires exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly
- Must demonstrate close visual acuity
WHAT YOU WILL LOVE
- Developing your skills alongside an experienced ECE Director, leadership and administrative team
- An opportunity to draw on your own experiences, as well as learn and teach new skills, supporting your professional development
- Executing a variety of tasks during the day to keep you engaged and motivated
- Autonomy to implement new strategies and ideas in collaboration with the ECE Director and cross-functional team members
- A positive organizational culture with a focus on collaboration, transparency, excellence, and growth
- Competitive salary and benefit offerings
WORK EXPECTATIONS AT USES
- This role is in 100% in person, on site at 48 Rutland Street, Boston, MA
- Our ECE program operates between 8:30am and 6pm. Staff work a 9-hour hour shift within that time frame, including breaks.
About United South End Settlements:
The mission of United South End Settlements (USES) is to harness the power of our diverse community to disrupt the cycle of poverty for children and their families. Our goal is to empower families in the South End and the surrounding areas to stabilize, achieve economic mobility, and become more resilient through access to resources and connections to a diverse social network. We have integrated our programs and implemented new initiatives to support the whole family, providing children and youth with early childhood education, club48 after-school programs, and Camp Hale, a summer camp on Squam Lake in New Hampshire. To learn more, please visit our website at www.uses.org.
USES Core Values
- Community: We believe in engaging the entire community as a catalyst in our model of service that helps children, and their families build strong, trusting and mutually beneficial relationships.
- Diversity: We believe that we achieve the greatest positive impact on children and their families when we include people from various backgrounds, skill sets, and perspectives in disrupting the cycle of poverty.
- Opportunity: We believe that all people have potential and deserve access to top quality educational and economic opportunities.
USES Organizational Norms and Behaviors
- Collaboration: Finding ways to Work Together with each other and across our departments and positions
- Positivity: Having a “Can Do” Attitude even when things are tough or stressful
- Transparency: Having Open Communication by sharing successes, challenges, and ideas with each other
- Excellence: Doing the Best We Can all the time with everything we do
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are encouraged to promptly submit their application through the online portal. All applicants will receive a response to their application within two weeks of submission.
------------------------------EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER------------------------------
USES is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, disability or protected veteran status, genetics, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. USES is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a member of our team.
- One location, 48 Rutland Street, Boston
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $20.00 - $24.00 per hour
- Retirement savings account: 403b
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- 9 hour shift, including breaks
- Monday to Friday
- Childcare: 1 year (Preferred)
- CPR Certification (Preferred)
- First Aid Certification (Preferred)
- EEC certification (Preferred)